International surrogacy is an ever-growing selection for many families wanting to build their families through surrogacy but at significantly lower costs compared to what can be offered in america. While international surrogacy can easily offer great financial savings, it is vital that the programs give you a full-range of services from legal to psychological care and counseling, and will include careful monitoring of surrogates as well as the process.
The most effective programs should offer quality services by professional staff and follow standards similar to those followed by first class domestic surrogacy programs and promulgated from the American Society for Reproductive Medicine Standards (ASRM).
We have found a listing of issues to find:
1. Standards. This program maintains standards for surrogacy qualifications including age restrictions, health standards, successful birth history, and thorough psychological screening and medical screening. This program should follow standards such as those established through the American Society of Reproductive Medicine.
2. Psychological Screening of Surrogates by Professional Staff. It is a critical component of an effective surrogacy arrangement. Professional evaluation of a surrogate's readiness to turn into a surrogate is vital.
3. Ongoing Education, Counseling and Support. The most effective programs could have developed educational programs for surrogates on every aspect of the procedure, and offer ongoing counseling and support for surrogates throughout the process.
4. Oversight of Surrogates. Close oversight of surrogates including unannounced home visits and agency coordination and direct participation in all surgical procedures and routine examinations needs to be an integral part of a properly run program.
5. Professional, credentialed staff. The agency should have professional, credentialed staff including legal and psychological care staff who can provide understanding the legal and psychological facets of the process.
6. U.S. and Foreign Offices. This program should have staff and offices in the United States and also the foreign country to ensure that communication is handled by experienced staff inside the U.S. and may lessen communication issues which may otherwise occur.
7. Evaluation and Counseling of Intended Parents. This may not seem necessary as well as preferred but evaluation and counseling by licensed psychologists can offer tremendous insights to Intended Parents, help in coping with issues surrounding surrogacy arrangements and help Intended Parents to higher prepare with the surrogacy process and handle issues since they arise. It is an invaluable and demanding aspect in any well managed surrogacy program.
Their list should serve as a guide in evaluating international surrogacy programs. This really is probably the most important life decisions you ever make and value savings should not cloud the primary requirements, standards and professionalism that really must be contained in the professional support you will receive in this most precious journey to parenthood.